Thursday, November 13, 2008

Closer To A Diagnosis

We arrived at 9:30 yesterday to see Dr. Salzman, my bone marrow transplant doctor. After running many more tests she confirms her suspicions that what I have been experiencing is due to a rare form of bone cancer called POEMS syndrome. In a few weeks I will undergo a nerve biopsy as well as a few more tests to solidify the diagnosis. These tests have been ordered by a top neurologist at Kirklin by the name of Dr. Oh. Dr. Salzman feels that if Dr. Oh confirms the diagnosis we will then begin the transplant process.

We talked for quite a while about the transplant process in detail. First I would have a catheter line placed then the next day would have my first dose of chemo, Cytoxan. Next would be a week of Neupogen shots to cause my body to mass produce stem cells. The overproduction would allow the stems cells to overflow from my bone marrow into my blood. Then a dialysis like machine would then filter my blood and spin the stem cells out. They would then capture these and freeze them. A three week period would follow with no treatments. At the end of this period I would be admitted to the hospital and the transplant process would begin. I would likely remain hospitalized for three to four weeks post transplant. We did not discuss anything past this point.

I will end this post with my thoughts on all of this. A nurse yesterday put it so eloquently into words. She said, "Sweetie, the good Lord has your days numbered. You are in His hands right now." I have to admit I am at times scared to death with the what lies before me but I leave you with a scripture He left me yesterday that comforted me very much. It comes from the 33rd chapter of Deuteronomy in verses 26 - 27.

There is no one like the God of Israel.
He rides across the heavens to help you,
across the skies in majestic splendor.
The eternal God is your refuge,
and his everlasting arms are under you.
He thrusts out the enemy before you;
it is he who cries, "Destroy them!"

What a wonderful God we have who promises help when we need it most. So many of you have been used by Him to comfort me this past year and I want you to know that I couldn't do this without each and every one of you. You are my treasure - the wind beneath my wings.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Sweet, sweet Caroline. I know that God is going to use this for His Glory. Thank you for sharing your journey in this way. I am continuously praying for you. Love ya, girl!

Denise M said...

Girl Friend,
Leave it up to you to have the cutest blog!!! "work it!!" Loved the picture of you and David. I remember exactly where that was taken. It was a great trip!!! Know that I love and pray for you daily. I'm here any time you need me and for any reason!!
love,
Denise

Kim B said...

Caroline,

Just wanted you to know that you and your family are in my prayers. Lana, Jill and Denise have been keeping me up to date on what's going on. First, I'm sorry to hear that the illness has returned. However, like you say on your blog, the study you've done this summer, the prayers that have already been prayed are all for a reason. He is close and holds you in His right hand. I pray for your strength to stand firm and hold tightly to His promises. Love you and miss you.
Kim

Unknown said...

Hey Caroline. I got this blog address from Lana. So glad I get to keep up with what's going on with you. I think of you daily and want you to know I am here for you for whatever you need. I pray you find strength and peace. Miss you...Jill